M2M is about machines, smartphones and appliances, whereas the IoT is about sensors, cyber-based physical systems, Internet and so on.
You might have gone to so many pages on internet to know actually difference between M2M and IoT, even I did and it was bit confusing both are similar but different. In analogy what we can say is that M2M and IoT are twin children they are similar in facial look and behavior yet different in personality, likes, dislikes etc.
So without wasting any more time let’s get started in details know actual difference between M2M and IoT
1.MACHINE TO MACHINE COMMUNICATION
Machine-to-machine, is a direct communication between devices using wired or wireless communication channels. It refer the interaction of two or more devices/machines that are connected to each other.
Devices capture data and share with other connected devices, creating an intelligent network of things or systems. Sensors, actuators, embedded systems or other connected elements are some example of devices.
M2M technology could be present in our homes, offices, shopping malls and other places. Controlling electrical appliances like bulbs and fans using RF or Bluetooth from your smartphone is a simple example of M2M applications at home.
1A. M2M BASED LIGHT BULB OPERATING SYSTEM
For example: A Bluetooth based Light Bulb Operating System
Here I made a hardware project that connects a light bulb with Arduino and HC-05 Bluetooth module, a Bluetooth app that connects with HC-05 sends signal to turn ON or OFF. In addition Machine to Machine communication between HC-05 Module and Smartphone app without use of internet.
Note: Most importantly there is no internet involved in whole application, this is a simple M2M application.
2. INTERNET OF THINGS
The Internet of Things (IoT) on another hand is the network of physical devices embedded with sensors, software and electronics, enabling these devices to communicate with each other and exchange data over a computer network.
IoT is the bigger vision on connectivity that is fueled by the advancements of M2M applications. M2M is, first and foremost, a business solution that connects businesses to their likewise connected machines.
2A. IoT BASED AIR POLLUTION MONITORING STATION
For example: Air Pollution Monitoring System, in this sensors measure surrounding temperature, humidity and carbon dioxide sensors. Then node communicate with a LoRa gateway and after that gateway uploads data into thethingsnetwork cloud. Data are updated on dashboard as shown in picture.
3. KEY DIFFERENCES
- In M2M data is not shared with other applications.
- To improve user experience, data is shared in IoT applications eg: weather forecasting, social media etc.
Devices in scope
- M2M has limited devices in scope.
- While IoT has large number of devices in scope.
- Xbee, Bluetooth, RF etc in M2M.
- Internet protocol in IoT is mainly used.
- M2M supports B2B.
- IoT supports B2B and B2C.
- Not supported in M2M.
- Supported in IoT.
- Vertical in M2M
- Vertical and Horizontal in IoT
- Machine to Machine applications are about connecting devices and their associated applications for instance, a smart meter and a smart metering application.
- IoT applications are potentially characterized by complex processing and data analysis with high level services.
- M2M applications are typically functionally specialized and quite inflexible. Eg: Fleet control, Monitoring, Asset tracking etc.
- IoT application needs to be more flexible in terms of its potential to evolve over time. Eg: Smart Agriculture, Smart Cities etc.
- Applications of M2M are deployed with a relatively rigid and unchanging solution architecture
- IoT applications are characterized by their need for distributed and federated processing, storage and querying.
- Speed can be designed into an M2M solution as needed and applications are capable of supporting the necessary speed requirement from day 1.
- In an IoT environment however the need for speed in the delivery and processing of different data feeds may evolve and change over time.
- Applications of M2M should be considered in the context of industry verticals and functional niches.
- IoT applications have the potential to transcend these limitations yo become cross-industry and cross-functions applications.
- To support the flexibility of environment, it is necessary for IoT applications to be semantically rich and for associated contexts.
- This is not the case for M2M applications, where data generated by an application only needs to be meaningful in the context of that specific application and within the boundaries of a known systems environment.
- In M2M, data is highly structured.
- In an IoT environment, a developer may want to include CCTV feeds in an application, or crowdsourced information, these information sources are at best semi-structured and at worst completely unstructured (depending on kind of information that developer is trying to extract)
- A related difference is the speed of growth that can be expected in M2M and IoT environment.
- In the case of an M2M application, growth is far more predictable. Typically an M2M solution is designed for a specific market or assets and can be deployed in that addressable market in a relatively predictable way.
- Data generated by M2M solutions would typically grow linearly with device count.
- The growth in data volumes, transaction volumes, and applications in an IoT environment is driven by network effects between a diverse ranges of data sources.
- Accordingly, growth in the IoT space can be expected to be more exponential rather than more linear and predictable growth that characterizes the M2M space.
- In the case of M2M, the privacy of data can be considered within a known landscape of application and user.
- In the case of IoT applications, however data could be used for contemporaneously unforeseen applications in unforeseen locations.
In short both refer to communicating and sharing data. M2M is about machines, smartphones and appliances, likewise the IoT is about sensors, cyber-based physical systems, Internet and so on.
In conclusion, to sum up M2M and IoT enable machines to communicate, collect, store, and exchange data; autonomously make corresponding decisions; and perform tasks with very minimal human intervention.
Machine-to-machine, is a direct communication between devices using wired or wireless communication channels. The Internet of Things (IoT) on another hand is the network of physical devices embedded with sensors, software and electronics, enabling these devices to communicate with each other and exchange data over a computer network.
Hope you liked this post. If you have any query do comment down below. Also do check out previous post.