Long Range or LoRa is a spread spectrum modulation technique derived from chirp spread spectrum (CSS) technology and is the first low-cost implementation of chirp spread spectrum for commercial usage.
📲 It was developed by Cycleo of Grenoble, France, and acquired by Semtech in 2012, a founding member of the LoRa Alliance.
- Long Range Communication technology.
- Range up to 10 km in suburban areas and 5 km in urban areas.
- Low power : Battery life time upto 10 years.
- Bandwith : 250 bps to 2.5 kbps,
- Secured Communication – AES128 encryption.
- High capacity – Millions of messages supported.
- Unlicensed spectrum ISM bands– 433, 868, 915 MHz.
Thee LoRaWAN open specification is a low power, wide area networking (LPWAN) protocol based on LoRa Technology.
Designed to wirelessly connect battery operated things to the Internet in regional, national or global networks, the LoRaWAN protocol leverages the unlicensed radio spectrum in the Industrial, Scientific and Medical (ISM) band.
- thethingnetwork.org – Global Open LoRaWAN Network
LoRa Technology enables a variety of smart IoT applications aimed at solving challenges like energy management, natural resource reduction, pollution control, infrastructure efficiency, disaster prevention, and more.
Above image is an example of Dragino LoRa development kit used for IoT relatad projects using LoRa transreceiver module. So for long distance communication between node and gateway LoRa can be a best option.
To know more details about LoRaWAN visit official wesite here.