Weather forecasting is the application of science and technology to predict the state of the atmosphere for a given location. Human beings have attempted to predict the weather informally for millennium and formally since the nineteenth century.
Weather forecasts are made by collecting quantitative data about the current state of the atmosphere on a given place and using scientific understanding of atmospheric processes to project how the atmosphere will evolve on that place.
- There are a lot of high end systems available these days for round the clock weather monitoring. But these systems are implemented on a very large scale, for monitoring real time weather for a whole city.
- Implementing such system for a small area is not feasible, since they are not designed for it and the overhead for maintaining such systems for a small area is very high.
- Our proposed system makes use of 3 sensors to measure the weather factors such as temperature, humidity, light intensity, dew point and heat index.
MODULES & COMPONENTS
- DHT-11 Temperature & Humidity Sensor: This sensor will provide the current humidity reading of the surrounding and for reading the temperature and also to calculate dew point and heat index.
- LDR: Light Dependent Sensor to sense light intensity.
- MQ135: Air quality sensor for detecting a wide range of gases, including NH3, NOx, alcohol, benzene, smoke and CO2.
- LCD: 16×2 LCD display is used to display the readings in real time manner. This is also human interface to the system.
- MyRio: It is a real-time embedded evaluation board made by National Instruments. It is used to develop applications that utilize its onboard FPGA and microprocessor.
- LabVIEW: Laboratory Virtual Instrument Engineering Workbench is a system-design platform and development environment for a visual programming language from National Instruments.
LabVIEW GUI INTERFACE
LabVIEW offers a graphical programming approach that helps you visualize every aspect of your application, including hardware configuration, measurement data, and debugging.
This visualization makes it simple to integrate measurement hardware from any vendor, represent complex logic on the diagram, develop data analysis algorithms, and design custom engineering user interfaces.
There are various types of sensors present in the prototype, using which all the parameters can be measured. Using LabVIEW creating a simple weather station to display intensity of light using LDR sensor and temperature with DHT11 sensor on front panel and Air quality with MQ135 and display result with proper GUI in LABVIEW panel.
Graphical charts were then plotted using the data which presented a nice analytical view of weather pattern based on sensor readings. Thus the testing phase was completed. This study was performed in a controlled manner.
Thus, there is a need to conduct further experiments in environments more similar to real weather conditions. Table below has the results obtained in the experiments.
|PARAMETERS (that current suitation)||READINGS|
|Light Intensity||0.251 LUX|
|Air Quality||35.87 ppm|
Limitations of the weather system is mentioned below
- This system is developed for Small area.
- It is not web based system.
In future, sensors to analyze air quality using gas detectors could be included and a web interface or service to feed the data directly to Internet could also be built.
Hope article helps in understanding weather station project using labview, do check out other post and also check Instagram. Do share your thoughts, if you require any help mail me at email@example.com