Enterprises are increasingly adopting IoT Enterprise to support their core business processes as a means of establishment new business models by providing useful insights, platforms and solutions.
“IoT Enterprise will be the dominant theme for industrial companies in the coming decade”Anand Mahindra Chairman and Managing Director of Mahindra Group
IoT – THE NEXT BIG WAVE
We are now looking at the next wave of disruptive changes in the field of technology, IoT is transforming the way we interact with physical products. Many IoT use cases have the potential to significantly improve quality of life in our society.
Connected health devices can help to improve medical care. Urban ebike sharing services help reduce pollution. Digital technology meshes traditional map data with additional data like traffic signs and road conditions to enable save driving. Smart Cities, Smart Home and Smart Building are providing improve quality of life to people and it save energy.
NEED OF IoT ENTERPRISE
- IoT will accelerate the shift towards integrated product and service offerings. Digital services and Asset Lifecycle Management will become integral part of this development. The most important point to be noted is that here two very different domains are meeting.
- On one hand we have Manufacturing and Engineering companies that have traditionally been driven by very high quality standards and long term product thinking. On the other hand we have Internet companies that focus on point solutions and work in ‘perpetual beta’ mode.
- Successful IoT business on enterprise level will require a little bit of both.
- In particular, we need to combine service-thinking of the Internet world with device-centric, quality-focused thinking of the manufacturing world.
- This approach will have to encompass both the technical as well as organizational level. Hence IoT Enterprise has taken a very good step towards development of a methodology that helps to identify the most critical issues and to create answers by collecting best practices from experts and early adaptors in the IoT.
UNDERSTANDING M2M & SoTs
IoT Enterprise focuses mainly on two important aspects:
- M2M Solutions
- Subnet of Things
IoT Enterprise is more limited than the full IoT vision, in which essentially every device can connect to any other device, either directly or through the cloud. As many enterprises will focus on these more tightly controlled, single enterprise types IoT solutions in upcoming years.
So let’s discuss about M2M and SoTs in bit detail.
MACHINE TO MACHINE COMMUNICATION
M2M solutions can almost be regarded as ‘Intranet of Things’
- Machine to machine (M2M) is direct communication between devices using any communications channel, including wired and wireless.
- M2M applications are about connecting devices and their associated applications for example smart metering application. IoT applications are potentially far more complex, they are characterized by complex event processing and data analysis and high-level offer services.
- The industrial machine to machine market is undergoing a fast transformation as enterprises are increasingly realizing the value of connecting geographically dispersed people, devices, sensors and machines to corporate networks.
- Today, industries such as oil and gas, precision agriculture, military, government, smart cities/municipalities, manufacturing, and public utilities, among others, utilize machine to machine technologies for a hybrid of applications.
- Many companies have enabled complex and efficient data networking technologies to provide capabilities such as high-speed data transmission, mobile mesh networking, and 3G/4G cellular backhaul.
SUBNETS OF THINGS
The next step for integrating these solutions into the ‘outside world’ is to consider how these Intranets of Things could be integrated with that what could be regarded as “adjacent” products or services.
What are Subnets?
- Subnets are a logical partition of an IP network into multiple, smaller network segments.
- Organizations will use a subnet to subdivide large networks into smaller, more efficient subnetworks. One goal of a subnet is to split a large network into a grouping of smaller, interconnected networks to help minimize traffic.
A Subnet of Things is a network of devices that converge around one or more central computing units. The devices all link to a central hub, constituted by one or more central computers, where information is compiled and transmitted to and from the devices, while the devices may also link to each other directly.
NEW TERMS OF IoT ENTERPRISE
In order to help make IoT Enterprise concepts more concrete list below are explanation of terms. People in an IoT Enterprise rarely talks about ‘things’ rather than ‘asset’ & ‘device’ are more commonly used.
- Asset is a property or piece of equipment that is produced, operated or managed in order to generate revenue or to help improve company’s operations. For Eg: Vehicles, Facilities, Machines or Power tools.
- In business terminology, we refer to numerous physical ‘things’ as ‘assets’. Assets are generally a key part of an enterprise’s business model.
- Devices are economically less significant and physically much finer grained than assets.
- Devices in IoT mainly include sensors and actuators, In IoT Enterprise devices are typically deployed on the assets.
- Enterprise refer to the organizational scope of the entity that is operating the IoT solution.
- Enterprises are increasingly adopting IoT solutions to support their core business processes as a means of establishment new business models and creating lasting relationships with their customers.
4. IoT ENTERPRISE SOLUTION
- IoT Enterprise solution has IT system that connects assets and their devices with backend application services. This includes the following:
5. BACKEND SERVICES
- Backend services usually enables remote monitoring and control of devices and assets, gather device-related data and are integrated with other enterprise applications.
6. BACKEND UI
- Provide web or mobile interfaces to enable users to interact with the services. For example, a visual dashboard with an overview of the current operational status of all assets.
7. REMOTE COMMUNICATION
- The communication mechanism between the asset and the backend services for instance, via mobile network or satellite.
8. ON ASSET HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE
- In general on asset hardware is basically a form of gateway that enables local and remote communication.
- While on asset software acts as a local agent enabling local integration and remote messaging.
- For example the gateway might use an industrial bus to integrate with local sensors and GSM module to communicate remotely with the backend.
9. SOLUTION HMI
- Some enterprise solutions also include a solution-specific human-machine interface (HMI) such as on board display of a car-sharing service.
10. ENTERPRISE APPLICATION
- Many IoT solutions have to integrate with a number of internal and external applications such as ERP, MES, PLM, CRM, legacy applications etc.
- These applications also contains some data related to the assets, for example an ERP system might contain vehicle configuration data, a CRM system will contain on remote vehicle condition.
The solution of an eCall service is that it can detect and deal with emergency suitations.
- The managed assets are cars.
- The enterprise is the eCall Operato, for eg: XYZ security technology.
- The solution contain onboard telematics control unit (TCU), which has an integrated acceleration sensor.
- TCU is integrated with the car’s airbag via thr controller are network (CAN) bus.
- Communication with backend is based on GSM.
- The main backend service is the call center application.
This application must integrate with local telephony management solution, the vehicle database managed by the car manufacturer and the public safety answering point which is connected to the police station, fire department or the ambulance service closest the scene of the accident.
Even though IoT Enterprise is a new development, 98 percent of survey respondents reported that most companies within their industry include enterprise IoT initiatives in their strategic road maps, including those related to improving service operations, increasing visibility into operations, enabling new business models, and creating new product and service offerings.
Hope you liked this post on Enterprise IoT in detail, right from need to definition to parts included to case study every concepts is pretty clear.
Follow Enterprise IoT – Strategies & Best Practices for Connected Products and Services by Dirk Slama, Frank Puhlmann, Jim Morrish & Rishi M.Bhatnagar book for more detail.
- Enterprise IoT – Strategies & Best Practices for Connected Products and Services by Dirk Slama, Frank Puhlmann, Jim Morrish & Rishi M.Bhatnagar.
CHECK OUT PREVIOUS POSTS
- Hacking smart Rubik’s cube to control home appliances
- How college-graduates can prepare for the market jobs post-corona.
- IoT Post Lockdown | Key Steps for Manufacturing
- Copper will change post-pandemic lifestyle
- How Smart Energy is Changing Chemical Industries